Pasta has always been a favourite meal of mine. All Italian based foods, actually. Loved them! I’d eat them for breakfast! Well.. If I wasn’t eating cereal, of course. Some things just don’t change……
I’ve always much preferred tomato based sauces and Italian foods, but sometimes even I would much prefer a creamier sauce, something like your alfredo’s and carbonara’s, or basic olive oil pastas that don’t have much sauce. Or even something like this Pretty In Pink sauce.
Using a base of beetroot, this sauce is not just vibrant in colour, but it’s vibrant in flavour too, thanks to the mingling of the roasted vegetable, lemon and garlic. To roast the beetroot, wrap a few large ones separately in alfoil, and place on a tray or in a baking dish in the oven. Let them roast until a skewer can be stuck into them with ease. Of course, you can use pre-packaged cooked beetroot, but roasting really unleashes the earthiness of the flavour, and adds a great depth to the dish.
I’m also quite fussy when it comes to what type of pasta I use with each different sauce, thanks to my sister! For example, I LOVE serving bolognese sauces with shell pasta. The shells act as mini bowls to hold those little chunks of mince, vegan or otherwise. In regards to this sauce, I’ve used Tortelli shaped pasta from my favourite Orgran Health + Nutrition. Made from rice and corn, and shaped into beautiful, almost snail shell-like shapes, the creases are the perfect little nook for catching and holding extra sauce, increasing the deliciousness factor in each mouthful. Now who wouldn’t want that!
So step outside your comfort zone a little bit with your next pasta dish. Pick up some fresh beetroot, a pack of Tortelli, and add this fabulously bright dish to your “to-make” list!
RECIPE: Pretty In Pink Pasta
Vegan. Gluten Free. Oil Free.
Serving size: 4
For the sauce:
175g beetroot, roasted + peeled (cooked and peeled weight)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
10g pinenuts, lightly toasted
1/3 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary
Salt + Pepper
For the pasta + serving:
20g pinenuts, lightly toasted
1/2 tsp lemon juice
250g Rice + Corn Tortelli Pasta
Fresh rocket, to serve
- To make the sauce, add the sauce ingredients, beetroot to rosemary, to a blender jug and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to packet directions, or until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, thinly slice the onion into half moons, and over a medium heat, saute the onion gently in 1/2 tsp lemon juice, or until lightly caramelised.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain, rinse, and place back in the pot. Pour some sauce over the pasta and stir to thoroughly combine. Add more sauce, if required, and season if necessary!
- To serve, place the fresh rocket at the bottom of four bowls, and top with the saucey pasta! Dress with the pinenuts and caramelised onion, and enjoy.