My second potato salad! I may have gone potato crazy these last few weeks, but who can blame me?! Potato is just too good. Especially chunky, crispy, roasted potatoes… Mmmmm…
I really need to stop getting carried away…
Here we have a super simple, but incredibly delicious + hearty salad! Perfect for any season as it can be eating hot or cold, but it’s summer here at the moment, so naturally, we cooled it down before digging in.
I found inspiration for this salad in my local wholefoods store, and having only recently discovered a great love for artichokes, I knew I had to recreate it.. In my own way of course. The artichokes are gently sauteed in a garlic-lemon mix, while the potatoes are roasted in turmeric, and a bunch of other goodies. Served on a bed of bulk rocket, with green peas, and optional avocado and/or drizzle of unhulled tahini (can highly attest to both), this dish combines your three main nutrition needs in one big bowl of goodness.
Now what could be better than that?
RECIPE: Artichoke + Roast Potato Salad
Vegan. Gluten Free. Nut Free.
400g tin artichokes (drained weight ~265g), quartered
540g potato, washed + chopped into even chunks
200g frozen peas
2 cups rocket
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp olive oil
1 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
Cracked pepper, to taste
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 200°C, and lining a baking tray with paper. In a bowl, toss the chunks of potato with 1 tsp of olive oil, the turmeric, chilli, cumin, and some pepper. Place the seasoned spuds onto the lined tray, and roast for around 40 minutes, or until crispy gold, giving the potatoes a turn at the 20 minute mark.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a frypan, with the lemon juice, minced ginger and some pepper. Add in the quartered artichokes (cut side down) and tilt the pan around, making sure the garlic-lemon-oil combo touches each quarter. Let them gently fry for around 2-3 minutes, before turning them to cook on the other side for a further 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook, drain and rinse the peas, and set aside.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, gently mix them in a bowl with the cooked artichokes and peas, and refrigerate until cool.
- When ready to eat, roughly tear the rocket leaves into salad bowl, and pour over the cooled potato, artichoke and pea mix. Season with extra pepper, and some salt and a drizzle of lemon juice, if desired. Serve on its own, or feel free to mix in some chopped avocado, and/or drizzles of tahini.
It’s as easy as that! A delicious, budget friendly meal that doesn’t have you slaving away in the kitchen for hours, and is fresh, healthy and satisfying! No boring, simple salads here!
So I hope you make it. And I hope you love it. And if you haven’t tried artichokes before, this is definitely a good place to start.
Aaaaand as always, don’t forget to share your recreations with me through tags on social media, or just let me know your feedback in the comments below!