Cookies, chocolate AND popcorn?! All in the one snack? Too good to be true? Almost! But I kid you not, here it is! Look no further for your next movie night snack 🙂
I’ve never been a huge fan of popcorn, even as a kid. All of the popcorn was either too buttery, too sweet, too salty… You name it, I could find something wrong with it! Even to this day, I’m still very much the same. I’ll snack on it plain, or maybe with a bit of cinnamon or nutritional yeast, but even that gets boring! Especially on movie nights.
I found myself wanting more. Something not too sweet. But not something savoury. But not too bitter. And not oily, or greasy, or salty, or sickly, or anything else popcorn can be! Yeah.. I’m fussy with my snacks…
But this recipe came to me like a dream. Actually, it came to me IN a dream, and no, I am not kidding! I was eating chocolate and cookies, and friends were grabbing at popcorn by the handful. There was a movie playing, and other things were happening (my dreams aren’t THAT boring!), but I was eating chocolate cookies a few days later, remembering that part of my dream, and then wondering what the three combined would taste like.. And voila! The perfect movie night snack.
The best part is that it’s nice and simple with only 3 ingredients, and it doesn’t take much time to put together either! It will even take less time if you use pre-popped corn. I’ve also used Orgran Health + Nutrition’s Fruitasaurus cookies for this recipe. Why? Asides from the obvious healthy aspect, of course. Well, for one, all of their cookies are absolutely delicious and I’ve been known to eat a whole box in one sitting, but also because the Fruitasaurus flavour specifically has these lovely chunks of currants which match perfectly with the bitterness of the dark chocolate, and plain taste of the popcorn, plus, they don’t all stick to the popcorn, so this snack also serves as a sort of trail mix! The perfect balance of flavours, textures and mouthwatering goodness!
So let’s get to it, everyone!
RECIPE: Cookie + Chocolate Coated Popcorn
Vegan. Gluten Free. Nut Free. Oil Free.
1/2 cup corn kernels (or pre-popped plain popcorn)
100g Orgran Health + Nutrition Fruitasaurus cookies
130g dark chocolate of choice (I used 75% cacao)
Note: If using pre-popped popcorn, go straight to step 4.
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat, and measure out the corn kernels.
- Once the pan is hot, add the kernels and lightly shake the kernels around the base of the pan over the heat.
- Quickly put a lid on the pan when the kernels begin to pop. Give the pan a shake every 10-15 seconds to make sure all the kernels reach the heat and pop. Once they’re all popped, set aside in a large (preferably wide) mixing bowl to cool.
- While the popcorn is resting, melt the chocolate, and crush the cookies. You can crush the cookies easily by placing them in an airtight bag and smashing them with a rolling pin! Just be careful which surface you do this on though… You don’t want to damage anything 😉 Crush until about two thirds are crumbs, but you still have a few good chunky bits in there.
- Pour the melted chocolate as evenly as possible over the popcorn and quickly stir to coat the corn. Add the crushed cookies and stir again so the cookie bits stick to the, now chocolate covered, popcorn!
- Let it rest again, and store in an airtight container.
Now all you need to do is sit down! Take a load off! Grab some friends (if you feel like sharing), and serve as a movie snack! Or even take it to the cinemas next time you go! Devour next time you’re binge watching your favourite TV show! You can even take it as a sneaky (but healthy!) snack to work for when those 3pm sugar cravings strike. Hell, you can even add it to your icecream, yoghurt, and/or smoothie/nicecream bowls! You can get as creative as you want with it! Just try not to eat it all in one sitting.. Although no judgement here if you do 😉
So for your next movie night, or even next time you’re looking for a quick snack, put this together for yourself! Because you really can’t go wrong when cookies are involved 😉 And hey, please let me know if you love it as much as I do, and tag me in any posts of your recreations so I can see how you’re enjoying it too!
Happy eating, fellow snackers 🙂