Falafel addict? Me too! But do you sometimes find yourself looking for a new way to eat them? Then look no further.. I got you covered!
Fun to say. Delicious to eat. And can be so versatile! Put it on burgers, stuff it into wraps or pita pockets, serve with salads and vegetables, or just simply serve it on a plate with a big bowl of hummus, or tahini.. Or just ditch the plate entirely and go for straight out of the tub and jar…
Don’t lie. I think we’ve all done it!
But sometimes you just want something a little different. And that’s where these come in. Falafel muffins. Think a mini, muffin shaped falafel salad. YUM!
I’ve made these using the Orgran Health & Nutrition falafel mix to keep it nice and simple. You could, of course, make these from scratch, but when you’re time poor (as I often find myself to be), this mix is great to have on hand, and still contains ALL the healthy goodness of a homemade falafel! Easy, hearty, tasty, nourishing, and well, it’s falafel! So why am I still talking?! Let’s get to the good stuff:
RECIPE: FALAFEL MUFFINS
Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Nut Free
1 packet Orgran Health & Nutrition Falafel mix
2 tblsp nutritional yeast
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
Cracked pepper, to taste
50g sundried tomatoes, chopped
50g Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
25g rocket, chopped
1/4 cup roasted and mashed pumpkin
3/4 cup water, plus 1-2 tblsp as needed
Sesame seeds, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced), and either line or grease a 12 hole, medium sized muffins tray
- Empty contents of Orgran Falafel mix into a large mixing bowl. Stir through all herbs and spices.
- Mix in the tomatoes, olives, rocket and pumpkin and add the water, ¼ cup at a time. If needed, add the extra 1 – 2 tablespoons. The consistency should resemble that of a regular muffin.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tray. If using, lightly sprinkle some sesame seeds over the top of each muffin.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15-18 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean, and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
These tasty bites are simple to make, freezer friendly, and perfect for snacking, or for drizzling with your favourite hummus (try beet hummus!), tahini, or even coconut yoghurt/tzatziki. They’re also perfect for sharing as part of a Mediterranean style tapas plate! Because sharing is caring, after all! Yes, you could most definitely still serve these in a meal, alongside a mash of some kind and other roast vegetables, for example, but I personally prefer them as a grab ‘n’ go snack to keep me fuelled throughout the day.
So now the real question is, what are YOU waiting for?! There’s always room for falafel in your life. There’s always room for falafel in everyone’s lives! So go on. Give these delicious bites a try! And if you do, don’t forget to tag me so I can see your recreations and hear your thoughts.
Happy eating, chickpeas! (heh, chickpeas.. falafel.. yum..)